Re: Wire harness building materials

Sujet : Re: Wire harness building materials
De : <bp (at) *nospam* www.zefox.net>
Groupes : sci.electronics.repair
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 17:22:13
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 19:12:25 -0000 (UTC), <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

Went looking for some spiral cable wrap to build a few simple
wiring harnesses. ISTR it was pennies per foot some years ago,
so I expected dimes per foot now.

Turns out it's dollars per foot for the spiral stuff, but slit
corrugated hose is much cheaper, roughly what I expected for spiral.

Some clue as to what diameter and material you're looking for would be
helpful.  Looking at what a Google image search dredged up, I don't
see anything that costs "dollars per foot".
<https://www.google.com/search?q=spiral+cable+wrap&tbm=isch>
For example:
<https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/spiral-wrap-standard>
$15.13 / 100 ft in 3/4 inch diameter LDPE.

That actually looks like a good deal but 100 feet is waaay too much.
The disclaimer about residential shipping surcharges makes me wary.

Here's a fairly representative example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/D-Line-Cable-Wrap-Black-8-ft-2-5m-0-5-1-5-in-10-40mm-Expandable-Diameter/1002887174
$2/foot, not locally in stock but it appears pickup is free if I'm
willing to set up an online account.

Anybody have a clue why? The convoluted  material looks a lot
slower to make. I tend to think it's inferior mechanically,
and certainly is bulkier.

Convoluted material?  Maybe a more specific material description will
yield a less vague answer.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/split-loom-tubing/
The product I ended up buying (from a local auto parts store) looks
similar and was about $5 for 7 feet, half inch ID.

I should admit the last time I bought spiral wrap it was from
the local Radio Shack store..... the real puzzle is the availability
disparity. The corrugated stuff looks a lot harder to make, bulkier
and gives the wires less support. Why is it easier to find?

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska