Re: Add-on automatic volume control

Sujet : Re: Add-on automatic volume control
De : HapilyRetired (at) *nospam* fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Groupes : alt.home.repair sci.electronics.repair
Date : 11. Jun 2024, 16:32:10
On 6/11/2024 12:15 AM, micky wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, on Mon, 10 Jun 24 22:26:34 UTC, Judge Arthur
Enron <judge@get.trump> wrote:

micky wrote:
Does anyone sell an add-on AVC or AGC, automatic volume control that can
be used with an existing one-piece radio?

I bought an internet radio and in some of the stations, the commercials
are so loud they wake me up if I've fallen asleep, or near sleep, and if
I turn down the volume, I can't hear the program.  I listen to talk
radio and in another channel, the host is loud enough but everyone else
is much quieter, and sometimes the host gets closer to the microphone
and it's too loud again.

I'd like to cut the wire to the speakers, which are built into the
radio's cabinet, and insert a device or circuit that will act as an AVC.
Any suggestions?

I presume that if I bought a different internet radio I'd have the same
problem, or is it possible the AVC in this one is broken?

P.S. googling found this, Add-on: AGC and Speech Enhancement
https://www.totalrecorder.com/AddOnAGC.htm , which sounds perfect, but
it's software, and I need hardware.

Raspberry PI 4 -
Auto Volume Control & EQ setup for CABLE TV -
Keep the volume same on all channels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3X01edbZk8

it's something related to what I want, but it's software.
Ralph's and Mighty's suggestions are also appreciated, but not close
enough.

Changed search words and found this
https://www.amazon.com/LEMONKTV-Control-Device-Karaoke-Machine/dp/B07H49JB8S/ref=sr_1_1
Not just for Karaoke.  Small but still too big for the speaker space,
but I can mount it outside the radio, cut the wires to the speaker(s)
and connect to each part half of a cable with RCA jacks on the end.

The ratings are few and from 1 to 5.    $50.

The sound engineer who gave it 1 star says the only other model is
disconintued but another reviewer started at 5 stars, went down to 1,
then said that Rolls SL33B was better. It's 3.9 starts on 131 reviews
for $89.  Still not that high, but sounds better than nothin'. If I can
go to bed listening to the radio, it will be worth it.  It has some sort
of gain control and a threshold adjustment, and a "red LED for general
indication of the amount of gain reduction in the circuit".    The first
one didn't have any of this.

https://www.amazon.com/rolls-SL33B-Stereo-Program-Limiter/dp/B004GK7PAI/ref=sr_1_1
Called a program limiter for some reason.  It's a Utah company.  Maybe
they speak differently out there.  I guess I'll google that to see if
there are others.   yes, there are, at goknight.com using the term
compressor/limiter -- must be a technical name --  but it's $208 or 289.

When I got to the product website itsself it says "helps control the
level over loud, obnoxious commercials, for example." That's half of
what I had in mind, and the other half is similar.

Your desired solution may fit into the "too hard" category.  The
pragmatic solution is to find something else to lull you to sleep.
Consider a white noise machine for example.  I haven't checked, but
there may even be a smartphone app for what you want with a built-in
timer so you don't drain the battery all night.  There are also apps
that provide restful sound tracks to aid in meditation.  Combined with
using the "do not disturb" setting on the smartphone to avoid undesired
audio notifications, it just may do the trick. There may even be
internet "stations" that provide wall to wall soothing music that
wouldn't require any additional equipment.  Think outside the box when
plan A doesn't seem feasible.