Re: USB oscilloscope for troublshooting?

Sujet : Re: USB oscilloscope for troublshooting?
De : <bp (at) *nospam* www.zefox.net>
Groupes : sci.electronics.repair
Date : 14. Jun 2024, 22:36:58
[dusting off an old thread]
bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
Possibly the biggest constraint is
that I do not own a Windows license and have no modern Windows-compatible
hardware, so the choices are MacOS 10.7.5, RasPiOS or FreeBSD only.

Well, it's three years later and I still haven't bought a 'scope 8-(

However, I did acquire a passable Win10 laptop, a Lenovo T400S.

Assuming I don't want to spring for a standalone scope, does anybody
have experience with either OWON or Hantek? From the online reviews
OWON seems a little better-regarded in terms of hardware. The OWON
VDS1022i is the model I had in mind, or a Hantek 6022be

One issue not raised in the original discussion on this thread was
repairability of the standalone scopes. A $100 usb scope is accepted
to be a throwaway if damaged. How fixable are the popular standalone
instruments? I'm thinking about blown front ends, failed switches
and simply getting dropped.

There seems to be a wide range of cheap DSOs on the market, all
from names I don't know and a few not met until yesterday:
Rigol, FNIRSI, VEVOR, HANMATEK, Hantek and SIGLENT to name a few.

Tektronix is still around, but at a price that needs justification
which I probably don't have. Too bad, I got my start on the 500 series.

Thanks for reading, and any ruminations you might have....

bob prohaska