Re: How did I miss this one?

Sujet : Re: How did I miss this one?
De : Ulf.Kutzner (at) *nospam* web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 03. May 2024, 15:46:06
Ross Clark wrote:

April 26, which is the feast day of Stephen of Perm, is celebrated as Old Permic Alphabet Day.

Not mentioned by Crystal. A passing reference by Geoffrey Sampson, in a LinguistList review of a book on Uralic languages, led me to it.

It was invented in 1372 by the said Saint, in order to write (Old) Komi (aka Old Zyrian), a Permic (Uralic) language (making it one of the earliest scripts used in that family). It is a rather radical re-shaping

of Cyrillic, with some elements from other sources. Its use continued for about three centuries, after which it was replaced by more normal Cyrillic.

All this and more at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Permic_script

We've already mentioned Hangul Day, celebrated in Korea. Any other holidays dedicated to particular scripts?
What about this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Slavonic_Alphabet,_Bulgarian_Enlightenment_and_Culture
Regards, ULF