Re: Doch wenn man was bestimmtes isst, mag man's daran nicht leiden.

Sujet : Re: Doch wenn man was bestimmtes isst, mag man's daran nicht leiden.
De : ram (at) *nospam* zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 30. Apr 2024, 22:59:51
Antonio Marques <no_email@invalid.invalid> schrieb oder zitierte:
But is the origin 'can ... suffer'?
One can use 'tolerate' for 'like'...

  Yes, "leiden" can mean as much as to endure, and I think that
  when you say you can endure someone well, it means that you
  like him (in the sense of "to be fond of him").

  What I've only just learned from looking it up in the
  dictionary of origins is that the verb "leiden" is not
  originally etymologically related to the adjective "leid"
  and the noun "Leid" derived from that adjective!

Newsgroups: sci.lang