World Book Day (22 April)

Sujet : World Book Day (22 April)
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 24. Apr 2024, 23:23:08
Sorry, I missed this one. Been busy. Every day is Book Day around here. Trying to read some of them, get rid of others.
Anybody have any Book Day experiences to relate?
(Crystal):
"...organized by UNESCO to promote reading, publishing and copyright...began in 1995, beveloping a previously celebrated Day of the Book (Dia del llibre) in Catalonia, held on this day, which is also the feast day of St.George."
(Yes, I looked it up, Sant Jordi is the patron saint of Catalonia.)
"In the UK and Ireland a related event is held in early March."
Now it gets confusing:
"A second initiative was introduced in 2010, when each of the UN's official languages was given its special day. This date was chosen for English because it was the traditional birthday...and deathday...of Shakespeare in the New Style calendar introduced into England in 1652."
(These old style/new style calendar shifts always confuse me. I guess that would be why Wikipedia says that W.S. was born/died on 23 April?
I believe the death date is actually documented, the birth only inferred from his baptism on the 26th.)
"However, a linguistically more motivated English Language Day is celebrated later in the year (13 October)".
We'll see about that.
"An alternative would be to celebrate Spanish Language Day instead, for this date was also the one chosen by the UN in honour of Cervantes, whose birthday was close by, 22 April."
Wait! I think that should be "deathday" of Cervantes.
Wikipedia: "29 September 1547 (assumed) – 22 April 1616 NS"
That's just the first half of the page. Continuing:
"In 2009 the Shakespeare Theater in Chicago introduced a Talk Like Shakespeare Day...."
No. Enough.