Re: Does 野分 in Chinese mean 颱風 (台風, Typhoon) ?

Sujet : Re: Does 野分 in Chinese mean 颱風 (台風, Typhoon) ?
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 13. Sep 2024, 13:08:27
On 13/09/2024 2:15 p.m., HenHanna wrote:
 On 9/12/2024 6:17 PM, Ross Clark wrote:
On 13/09/2024 7:51 a.m., HenHanna wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2024 11:16:40 +0000, Ross Clark wrote:

On 12/09/2024 6:53 p.m., HenHanna wrote:

     Does 野分 in Chinese mean  颱風 (台風, Typhoon) ?

Google Translate gives a reading yē fēn for 野分, but translates it as
"Nowaki". Which is very odd because "Nowaki" is not an English word.
My small Ch-Eng dictionary does not seem to have yē fēn in it.
野 means something like 'wild'. 分 can mean 'separate; part; point' and
various other things. Not much help if we can't find the combination.

in Japanese,   野分き, 野分, のわき  (or Nowake)  means that.

Small Jp-Eng dictionary has nowaki 野分 'a wintry blast; a searing blast
of late autumn'.
So I don't think either of these is a synonym of 台風.

野 means something like 'wild'. 分 can mean 'separate; part; point' and

(Etym.) it is so-named   because  The field-grass (野の草)  gets Separated.

日本では、古くは野の草を吹いて分けるところから、野分(のわき、のわ け) と いい、11世紀初頭の『枕草子』『源氏物語』などにもその表現を見 ること が出来 る。

Possible, but could be folk etymology.
           -----------  Do you have a better idea , or a hunch?

The use of the character 分 definitely suggests a connection to 分ける wakeru 'divide, separate'. But the form as given in the dictionary is nowaki. The writer of the above gives another form, nowake. But I don't know whether this is an attested variant, or a purely hypothetical earlier form from which nowaki might have been derived. I could equally well see the -waki as derived from waku 'boil, seeth, be in an uproar'.

日本を含む北西太平洋・アジアでは台風またはタイフーン(typhoon)と呼ばれ て いる現象は、アメリカなどの北中米ではハリケーン(hurricane)、その他 の 地域 ではサイクロン(cyclone)と呼ばれています。
そのどれもが熱帯低気圧の構造を持っているという意味では、これらは地域 を 問 わず同一の気象現象に分類できます。

           --------- it says...  (typhoon)   (hurricane)   (cyclone) belong to the same Category.

Yes, they are different regional words for the same thing. It says nothing about "nowaki".
  (Jp) Nowake is a (typhoon) (hurricane) (cyclone) --- possibly small-scale

No it's not. It's a blast/gust of cold wind. If you want to say it's in the "same category", that category would have to be as broad as "bad weather".