Re: English: "Miss"

Sujet : Re: English: "Miss"
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 24. Mar 2024, 19:18:24

 Ar an ceathrú lá is fiche de mí Márta, scríobh HenHanna:

 > Peter T. Daniels wrote:
 >
 > > On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-4, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
 > >> From a report of the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch:
 > >>
 > >> The operator had suspended operations for several months due to Covid-19
 > >> restrictions, and prior to the incident flight the reservation system from
 > >> which the load sheet was produced had been upgraded. There was a fault in
 > >> the system which, when a female passenger checked in for the flight and used
 > >> or was given the title ‘Miss’, caused the system checked her in as a
 > >> child. The system allocated them a child’s standard weight of 35 kg as
 > >> opposed to the correct female standard weight of 69 kg. Consequently, with
 > >> 38 females checked in incorrectly and misidentified as children, the G-TAWG
 > >> takeoff mass from the load sheet was 1,244 kg below the actual mass of the
 > >> aircraft.

 > >> The incident occurred due to a simple flaw in the programming of the IT
 > >> system, which was due to the meaning of the title ‘Miss’ being interpreted
 > >> by the system as a child and not an adult female. This was because in the
 > >> country where the system was programmed, Miss is a child and Ms is an adult
 > >> female.
 >
 > > What country might that be? India?
 >
 > > In what country are women automatically labeled "Miss"?

The women labeled themselves “Miss” in this case. It’s very very unusual not to
require a date of birth for passengers when booking and checking in, in my
experience, why was that not used?!

I hadn’t realised my preference for Dr as a title in this and other contexts (I
don’t have my MRCSI) might have implications for calculated fuel load!

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’