Ruth Prawer Jhabvala died (3-4-2013)

Sujet : Ruth Prawer Jhabvala died (3-4-2013)
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 03. Apr 2024, 12:25:20
Born Cologne, Germany, 1927. Jewish. Just made it out of Germany in 1939. Lived in London during WWII, became British citizen.
MA, Queen Mary College (U of London), English literature, 1951.
Married an Indian (Parsi) architect, lived in Delhi 1951-1975.
Moved to New York, lived there the rest of her life.
I don't think I've read anything she's written, but I've certainly seen a couple of the 23 Merchant-Ivory films for which she wrote screenplays.
Possibly (Crystal isn't clear) the only person to have won both a Booker Prize and an Oscar.
Like a lot of people, I assumed she was Indian.