Re: French [surname CAPITALIZATION] -- in the French version of Wikipedia?

Sujet : Re: French [surname CAPITALIZATION] -- in the French version of Wikipedia?
De : me (at) *nospam* privacy.net (Tim Lang)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english alt.english.usage
Suivi-à : sci.lang
Date : 04. Apr 2024, 09:41:30
On 04.04.2024 07:15, Antonio Marques wrote:

jerryfriedman <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

A funny thing about this is that, I'll bet, ambiguity between given names
and surnames is much more common with English names than with French,
Italian, or German, but we don't feel any need to capitalize surnames.
When a surname is given first, it's almost always followed by a comma.
In Germany, both in use - either comma or capitalization.

Aiui italians don't do that at all.
 On a note of indeterminate relatedness, italians only capitalise the first
letter of acronyms.
In Germany too, yet not as often as in Italy. E.g. Nato (in many texts
though NATO).
Tim
(f'up to sci.lang)