Re: French [surname CAPITALIZATION] -- in the French version of Wikipedia?

Sujet : Re: French [surname CAPITALIZATION] -- in the French version of Wikipedia?
De : no_email (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (Antonio Marques)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 04. Apr 2024, 16:26:54
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
On 2024-04-04, Antonio Marques <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

On a note of indeterminate relatedness, italians only capitalise the first
letter of acronyms.

Looking over the first two examples that come to mind, both article
text and references, ...

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNESCO

... I'd say both usages exist in parallel.

I mostly meant the case of 'unpronounceable initialisms', which they do, in
a fashion that looks odd to me, write in all lowercase or initial capital
only - https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigla - e.g. pm for Polizia Militare.

Other factors may come into play, viz it being a foreign word, or a
trademark, or a context in which the set of letters is limited to
uppercase, or even editorial standard - Wikipedia does seem to follow style
conventions that are different from those of the printed media or
traditional usage.

By contrast, in portuguese all initialisms are written in uppercase, albeit
no longer with dots. Unless of course the writing is careless.