Re: Remnant of the future

Sujet : Re: Remnant of the future
De : naddy (at) *nospam* mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 07. Apr 2024, 20:57:54
On 2024-04-07, Ruud Harmsen <rh@rudhar.com> wrote:

[Portuguese "és"]
I find it complicated that it would be anything other than the normal
evolution of latin 'es', but I haven't read on the subject.

How would ‘es’ keep its s,

The same way other second person forms keep their -s:
Final -s is conserved from Latin to Portuguese.

when ‘est’ lost the t AND the s?

Not a regular sound change.  Given it's extremely high frequency,
an irregular reduction isn't that surprising.  And again, the 2./3.
person clash after regular loss of -t had to be resolved in some
way.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy@mips.inka.de