Re: Sentence-ending particles in English

Sujet : Re: Sentence-ending particles in English
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* dev.null (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 14. Apr 2024, 23:15:55
Aidan Kehoe wrote:

 Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh Stefan Ram:

 >   When we're chattin' it up in Japanese, we tend to tack on all
 >   these little particles to our sentences, am I right?  >  >   Seems like the Brits have got a similar thing goin' on in English.
 >   I hear the kiddos over there sometimes talk like this:
 >  > |Oh my gooood - uh
 >  > |Whyyyy - yuh
 >  > |Why did you do thaaat - uh
 >  > |What the heeeell - uh
 >  > |Stop iiiit - uh
 >  > |Pleeeease - uh
 >  > |Omg shut uuuup - uh
 >  > |Give it baaack - uh
 >  > |But I need it though - wuh
 >  > (list comes straight outta the  > World Wide Web, the good ol' WWW.)
 >  >   Word on the street is that some of the young ladies - not
 >   children, mind you, but young women - have been known to
 >   tack on these little particle doodads to their sentences in
 >   English. Seems like it's a relatively fresh phenomenon, might
 >   even be takin' root stateside, at least in certain pockets.

I fear you are not working as hard as previously to disguise your origins as a
working class East Coast Estadounidense, born about 1930, Stefan!
      really?   i thought  Stefan Ram  was  German -speaking?
      i haven't noticed this  fad (?)  --  i'll look it up on Youtube.