Re: Alfred Hitchcock died (29-4-1980)

Sujet : Re: Alfred Hitchcock died (29-4-1980)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 29. Apr 2024, 13:29:59

 Ar an naoú lá is fiche de mí Aibreán, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > First Hitchcock film I ever saw: "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956). James
 > Stewart and Doris Day.

Great director and a film I haven’t seen, must correct that.

 > In the Moroccan Embassy in London, Doris sings "Que Sera Sera". She looks
 > very serious in the picture; her son is being held hostage somewhere in the
 > embassy, and she is trying to use the song to make contact with him. It was
 > a brand new song at the time, first performance in this film. OK, here's a
 > bit of language trivia: What is the origin of the phrase and what language
 > is it supposed to be? Read more here:
 >
 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

A bad translation with very strong cultural currency; I can’t off the top of my
head think of any other examples of this, though I’m sure they are some.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’