Re: The 'have' of possession

Sujet : Re: The 'have' of possession
De : peter (at) *nospam* pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 01. May 2024, 01:00:45
On 01/05/24 00:37, jerryfriedman wrote:
Peter Moylan wrote:

Many thanks to both you and Ross. I didn't realise that it's a
well-studied phenomenon, and that the "mihi est" form survived in
Latin and Greek into relatively modern times. Nor did I know that
it's found in language families all over the world.
..

Does that mean you found out that it's the same in Hebrew?  Yesh li
tapuach, there-is to-me apple.
Thanks for the extra example. I haven't yet looked at the map Ross
pointed to -- for some reason it won't display in my web browser, so
I've had to send the message to another computer -- but from the
accompanying text it's not surprising that Hebrew is in that group.
I started out thinking it was a European phenomenon, but in fact it
appears that Europe is the place where the dative possessive is dying out.
--
Peter Moylan                         http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW