Re: This must be Bulgarian (audiobook?) -- Russian title is: Гёдель, Ешер, Бах

Sujet : Re: This must be Bulgarian (audiobook?) -- Russian title is: Гёдель, Ешер, Бах
De : peter (at) *nospam* pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 19. May 2024, 02:17:46
On 2024-05-18, Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

I'm remembering, without consulting any books, but I think there is no
actual palatalization before (historic) a,o,u, as one might expect.
The Russian я following palatalized consonant comes from the front nasal
vowel *ę;

There are other sources of я.  Just looking at two feminines on -я:
неделя ‘week’ < PSl. *neděľa
заря ‘dawn, dusk’ < PSl. *zořa

and unless I'm mistaken ю only represents /ju/ in native
Slavic words

любить ‘to love’ < PSl. *ľubiti
You get a more impressive example with the first person singular of that
verb: люблю. Or, now that I think of it, with the first person singular
of almost any verb.
OK, there are some exceptions to that last statement. я иду (I come),
for example, lacks the palatalisation.
--
Peter Moylan                         http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW