Re: DE (in Irish) is "of" (just like in French)

Sujet : Re: DE (in Irish) is "of" (just like in French)
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang rec.puzzles alt.usage.english soc.culture.ireland
Suivi-à : sci.lang
Date : 26. May 2024, 17:45:21

 Ar an ceathrú lá is fiche de mí Bealtaine, scríobh HenHanna:

 > > See Google Translate:
 > > Ar an tríú lá is fiche de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Ross Clark.
 > > On the twenty -third day of May, Ross Clark wrote.
 >
 >
 > DE  (in Irish)  is   "of" (just like in French)
 >
 >
 >
 > No, "DE" in Irish Gaelic isn't exactly equivalent to "of" in French.
 >
 > While they both function as prepositions, their usage differs. Here's a
 > breakdown:
 >
 > _____________Irish Gaelic - "DE"
 >
 > Function:  "De" can have several meanings depending on the context. Here are
 > some of the most common uses:
 >
 >
 > -- Possessive: Can indicate possession, similar to "of" in some cases.
 >
 > However, Irish Gaelic uses mutations on the following noun instead of a
 > separate preposition. (e.g., "teach (house) mhúirne (mother)" - mother's house)
 >
 >
 > -- Origin: Can indicate origin or source (e.g., "tá sí de Dublin" - she is from
 > Dublin).
 >
 > -- Material: Can indicate the material something is made of (e.g., "tá an bád
 > de adhmad" - the boat is made of wood).
 >
 > -- Agentive: Can show the agent performing an action with certain verbs
 >                (e.g., "mharaigh mé é" - I killed him).

I don’t see “de” anywhere in that last sentence.

Did you ask ChatGPT to generate this?

 > ____________________French - "DE"
 >
 > Function: "De" in French primarily functions as a preposition meaning "of" and
 > indicates possession, origin, or other relationships between words. (e.g., la
 > maison de mon père - my father's house).
 >
 >
 > Key Differences:
 >
 > Mutations: Irish Gaelic uses mutations on nouns after "de" for possession,
 > while French uses "de" itself.
 >
 > Versatility: "De" in Irish Gaelic has more varied uses beyond just possession.
 >
 >
 >
 >
 > Here's an example to illustrate the difference:
 >
 > Irish Gaelic: "Leabhar (book) Micheál (Michael)" - Michael's book (Literally
 > translates to "book of Michael" with mutation on "Leabhar")

There’s no mutation on leabhar there. The phrase is wrong in any event, you
would want ‘Leabhar Mhíchíl,’ with Mícheál in the genitive.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’