Re: Adelaide Casely Hayford born (2-6-1868)

Sujet : Re: Adelaide Casely Hayford born (2-6-1868)
De : no_email (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (Antonio Marques)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 21:34:51
Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
An African Victorian Feminist (title of a recent biography of her).
Came from the elite Creole class in Freetown (like Robert Wellesley
Cole, whose memoir, Kossoh Town Boy, I came across a few years ago).
Hayford went off to school in England, married, unmarried, and returned
to pioneer women's education in Sierra Leone.
Wrote in standard British English, but occasionally used Krio in
dialogue in her fiction:
"Carry am go! Make e no stop here!" [Take him! Don't let him stay here!]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Casely-Hayford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Benjamin_Ageh_Wellesley_Cole

Not long ago I tried to explain in an fb comment why examples like the
above are not english but their own language. I wasn't successful.