Re: French proverb : “A man who knows two languages is worth two men.” --- is this really a French proverb ?

Sujet : Re: French proverb : “A man who knows two languages is worth two men.” --- is this really a French proverb ?
De : jerry.friedman99 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (jerryfriedman)
Groupes : sci.lang  alt.usage.english
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 19:19:31
Silvano wrote:

jerryfriedman hat am 09.06.2024 um 14:53 geschrieben:
Peter Moylan wrote:

I'm not sure how I learnt that word, but I did know that it had two
syllables.
 What word?  As far as I know, Italian "dove" is pronounced exactly
like "Dov'è".

I know better, as I should when we talk about my native language.

Dove - spoken accent on "o".
Dov'è (actually two words fused together: "dove è", but we never
separate the two "e") - spoken accent on "e".
I won't elaborate on the openness and closeness of the "e".
Thanks.  An interesting difference, since in English we don't usually
accent the "is" in "Where is", unless it's followed by a personal
pronoun or for emphasis.
--
Jerry Friedman