Re: Ben Jonson born (11-6-1572)

Sujet : Re: Ben Jonson born (11-6-1572)
De : dougstaples (at) *nospam* gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 14. Jun 2024, 09:26:48
HenHanna wrote:

On 6/11/2024 3:42 AM, Ross Clark wrote:
Runner-up to Will Shakes in the "England's Got Playwrights" finals.

              not Marlowe?

 Jonson on language (briefly excerpted):
 A wise tongue should not be licentious and wandering...
 How much better is it to be silent, or at least to speak sparingly!
 Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee.
 [That's familiar -- who is he quoting there? Or is it him?]

             isn't that what Romeo says?   --> No...

                 it's prob  Socrates.

 These are from a collection (a "commonplace book", not published in his
 lifetime) called:
 "Timber, or Discoveries made upon men and matter, as they have flowed out of his daily readings, or had their reflux to his peculiar notion
of
 the times"

why is it entitled  Timber???
 ..."as we are commonly used to call the infinite mixed
multitude of growing trees a wood, so the ancients gave
the name of Sylvæ—Timber Trees—to books of theirs in
which small works of various and diverse matter were
promiscuously brought together.”
<https://www.gutenberg.org/files/5134/5134-h/5134-h.htm>