Re: Resilience

Sujet : Re: Resilience
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 17. Jun 2024, 20:11:47
On 6/17/2024 3:42 AM, Helmut Richter wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2024, HenHanna wrote:

On 6/17/2024 12:17 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
On 17.06.2024 um 08:59 Uhr Steve Hayes wrote:

"Resilience" was a word I used to see about -10 times a year, and now
I'm seeing it as many times in a day.

Has anyone else noticed this?

In Germany it started during the covid era. Most use cases include a
vast amount of bullshit.

do    yo u   mean  the German word for  [Resilience]  ?
 I do not think there is a single German word with the same meaning. That’s
why the word has been adopted (as "Resilienz") into many scientific
contexts, see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilienz . It is not (yet?)
used in everyday language.
 A translation in dictionaries is "Widerstandsfähigkeit" (lit. meaning:
resistence ability), but this denotes first and foremost the prevention of
harm and damage in case of an attack (no matter whether by natural or
human forces); in English I would call that robustness. Resilience does
more focus on (or at least include) the ability to recover from harm and
damage already suffered.

thanks...
      Empowerment, Empowered...   Self-Esteem...   used be big Buzzwords
today...  Sustainable,  Resilience  ...
                 have some of that quality.