Re: Bloomsday (16 June)

Sujet : Re: Bloomsday (16 June)
De : wugi (at) *nospam* brol.invalid (wugi)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 17. Jun 2024, 23:28:23
Op 16/06/2024 om 1:56 schreef Ross Clark:
"This day celebrates the life and writing of Irish author James Joyce (1882-1941), chiefly be retracing the route through Dublin taken by Leonard* Bloom, the central character in _Ulysses_....the action of the novel takes place entirely on a single day: 16 June 1904, which was also the day Joyce first went out with Nora Barnacle, whom he later married."
 *That's _Leopold_ Bloom! Two gaffes in two days! This book needed an editor.
 Bloomsday is a real thing. A few years ago I went to a Bloomsday celebration at a local "Irish pub" called the Dogs Bollix. Some professional readings, some amateur singings, and lots of drinkings. Good fun.
 When I briefly visited Pula, Croatia (at the southern tip of Istria) in 2009, I was surprised to see a life-size image* of JJ, seated at a table outside a local cafe. I knew he had lived in Trieste (which is not far away); but before that, for a few months 1904-5, he had a job in Pula (then called Pola), teaching English at the Berlitz School, mainly to Austro-Hungarian naval officers.
 *I wanted to say "statue", but is it a statue if it's sitting? Sitting on a horse, OK, but sitting at a table, drinking coffee?
 "While he was in Pola he organised the local printing of his broadsheet The Holy Office, which satirised both William Butler Yeats and George William Russell,"
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Joyce
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula
I haven't read JJ nor am planning to any soon, but a few years ago I bought the "Ruta Joyce" of Zapico and enjoyed it a lot, learning a few things at the same time. It's even a nicer than his Joyce bio*graphic* novel itself, Dublinés (more polished in drawing and type-setting, but less exhilarating). Both recommendable anyway.
https://www.astiberri.com/products/la-ruta-joyce
https://www.astiberri.com/products/dublines
https://www.estudiosirlandeses.org/2014/02/making-james-joyces-life-into-a-graphic-novel-an-interview-with-alfonso-zapico/ --
guido wugi