Juneteenth (19 June)

Sujet : Juneteenth (19 June)
De : benlizro (at) *nospam* ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 20. Jun 2024, 07:43:11
The Emancipation Proclamation reaches Texas (19-6-1865).
(Originally proclaimed 1-1-1863 in Washington.)
The anniversary has been celebrated by some African-American communities ever since, but became a Federal holiday only in 2021.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation
Crystal focuses on the fact that the name is a "blend" -- a single word containing parts of two original words. Any other public holidays with blend-names?
In this case, since (he goes on) it's a whole word (june) plus part of another word (-teenth), it's a "partial blend".
Another kind is where both parts are word-fragments: brunch, slithy. It was to describe the latter word that Lewis Carroll (or rather Humpty Dumpty) said "it's like a portmanteau", which has been adopted as a technical term in linguistics. So strictly speaking Wikipedia is in error when they say (vide supra) that "Juneteenth" is a portmanteau.
I suspect this terminology has never been scrupulously observed.
Looking for an image to show exactly what a portmanteau looked like, I came across this:
https://writing-rag.com/4471/two-more-portmanteau-words/
But that's not what I wanted. I want a picture that shows one fully opened, with several parts to hold different pieces of clothing, which all fold together neatly into a single piece of luggage.