Next ambiguity

Sujet : Next ambiguity
De : me (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 21. Jul 2024, 18:11:55
I'm wondering how common ambiguity in the word "next" is. My first wife, when I was driving and she was giving directions, would say, for example, "take the next right", which we would understand differently; for me the next right would mean right at the intersection we are just coming to. For her it meant the one after it. There was a similar ambiguity for weeks. If I say "next week" I mean the week that starts tomorrow, Monday 22nd July: for her it would mean the week that starts on the 29th.
In case it's relevant, I mention that my ex-wife is from California, one of the few native adult Californians that I ever came across when I lived in California.
--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly in England until 1987.