yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes

Sujet : yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : sci.lang alt.usage.english
Date : 21. Jul 2024, 22:03:33
           >>      Are you still living in Limerick?
           >>      I am.
Did you grow up in Galway?
I did.
              So does that mean that
                      (e.g., for a girl who grew up in Galway)
              to use the word   [yes]  so much   would be unusual?
The last [Yes]  is  obviously emphatic, but
it seems that Joyce's intention was that all the other [yes]es
be softly spoken.
             iirc... he explained that in a letter written in French.
________________________________
          ...........  yes and those handsome Moors all in white and turbans like kings asking you to sit down in their little bit of a shop and Ronda with the old windows of the posadas glancing eyes a lattice hid for her lover to kiss the iron and the wineshops half open at night and the castanets and the night we missed the boat at Algeciras the watchman going about serene with his lamp and O that awful deepdown torrent O and the sea the sea crimson sometimes like fire and the glorious sunsets and the figtrees in the Alameda gardens yes and all the queer little streets and pink and blue and yellow houses and the rosegardens and the jessamine and geraniums and cactuses and Gibraltar as a girl where I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.
_____________________________________
Homer, Odyssey 1.196–198:
                     οὐ γάρ πω τέθνηκεν ἐπὶ χθονὶ δῖος Ὀδυσσεύς,
ἀλλ’ ἔτι που ζωὸς κατερῡ́κεται εὐρέϊ πόντῳ, νήσῳ̆ ἐν ἀμφιρύτῃ,
                     ou gár pō téthnēken epì khthonì dîos Odusseús,
all’ éti pou zōòs katerū́ketai euréï póntōi, nḗsōi en amphirútēi,
[Athena disguised as Mentes talking to Telemachus:]
               For noble Odysseus hasn't died yet on earth,
but is probably still alive and being detained on the wide sea
on a sea-girt isle,
           πόντος   (Point, or Path)  is the word for Sea -- wow!
On 7/21/2024 8:52 AM, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

 >   Ar an chéad lá is fiche de mí Iúil, scríobh Aidan Kehoe:
 >
 >   >  Ar an chéad lá is fiche de mí Iúil, scríobh Ruud Harmsen:
 >   >
 >   >  > Sun, 21 Jul 2024 09:29:23 +0200: Bertel Lund Hansen
 >   >  > <gadekryds@lundhansen.dk> scribeva:
 >   >  >
 >   >  > >Peter Moylan wrote:
 >   >  > >
 >   >  > >> Another comment of his that still sticks with me: Have you noticed
 >   >  > >> that Irish people never answer a question with "yes" or "no"? A
 >   >  > >> typical exchange:
 >
 > (“Never” overstates it, we do speak English and make full use of its idioms.)
 >
 >   >  > >>      Are you still living in Limerick?
 >   >  > >>      I am.
 >
 >   >  > >> This is because the Irish language has no words for "yes" and "no", and
 >   >  > >> somehow this has affected Irish English.
 >   >  > >
 >   >  > >Amazing. Do they nod and shake their heads for yes and no?
 >   >  >
 >   >  > They do.
 >   >
 >   > Well answered, Ruud!
 >
 > Classical Greek and Latin also did not have words for “yes” and “no”; you see
 > an echo of this in the marriage ceremony. In English, translated without regard
 > for idiom, it is: “Q: Do you take [this woman] to be your lawfully wedded
 > [wife], [...] A: I do.” German has something like:
 >
 >    »Q: N., ich frage Sie: Sind Sie hierher gekommen, um nach reiflicher
 >    Überlegung und aus freiem Entschluss mit Ihrer Braut (Name) / mit Ihrem
 >    Bräutigam (Name) / den Bund der Ehe zu schließen? A: Ja«
 >
 > which is a more idiomatic translation.

So in German it's always just [Ja] ?