Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...

Sujet : Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
De : peter (at) *nospam* pmoylan.org (Peter Moylan)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 28. Jul 2024, 12:30:48
On 28/07/24 18:19, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

[Positive: I can now say "Tá penna m'aintín ar bhuró m'uncail", so
maybe I'm making progress.]

Penna isn’t a word; did you mean peann? Next step; render « La plume
de ma tante est près de la chaise de ma tante. »
Thanks for the correction. I'll try to memorise peann. I'm putting aside
your other challenge for a few months, but I did use Google Translate to
discover that "pres de" -> "in aice le", literally "in nearness with".
Recent discovery: I've noticed that Irish can use the preposition "ag"
(=at) to produce something that is close to the English present
continuous. "He is at walking."
On the wall above my desk is a table with the conjugations of five
common prepositions. I'm getting close to where I can add a couple more.
--
Peter Moylan       peter@pmoylan.org    http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW