Re: Solved: "Messed up and outta my mind"

Sujet : Re: Solved: "Messed up and outta my mind"
De : HenHanna (at) *nospam* devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 04. Aug 2024, 01:55:18
On 2/10/2024 11:19 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
   I might have been about 13 years old when I read a kind of
   brochure about Iggy and the Stooges, where one page had the
   text (probably in large print and in isolation)
 |Messed up and outta my mind
    . I had only learned so much English and was very puzzled.
   I since remember this phrase verbatim, though I think I
   have lost that brochure long ago.
    Today, I finally solved this puzzle. I got the explanation
   from an book that explained that there was a writer Chris
   Hodenfield who wrote about the Stooges that they glorified
 |messed up and outta my mind living
    . Now, I just needed to ask any old AI system. It told me:
 |The phrase "a band that glorified messed up and outta my mind
|living" suggests that the band's music and lyrics celebrate
|or exalt a lifestyle characterized by chaos, confusion, or
|mental instability. This could involve themes of rebellion,
|self-destruction, or unconventional living. The term
|"glorified" implies that the band portrayed this type of
|living in a positive or admirable light.
    . See? So that's the meaning of "Messed up and outta my mind"!
    It remains to mention that both "messed up" and "outta my mind"
   also appear in lyrics of the band:
 |So messed up I want you here
"I Wanna Be Your Dog" (1969)
 |Out of my mind on Saturday night
"1970" (1970)
    . So, maybe Hodenfield created the phrase combining it from those
   songs.
It's unlikely that the phrase "messed up and outta my mind" originated with the Marx Brothers.
         While they were masters of comedic language and created countless memorable catchphrases, their humor tended to be more sophisticated and often relied on wordplay, puns, and absurd situations.
The phrase in question is more straightforward and colloquial, suggesting a more recent origin.
         The Marx Brothers' humor is typically characterized by witty banter, rapid-fire dialogue, and intellectual comedy, which differs significantly from the more casual and informal tone of "messed up and outta my mind."