Re: does [ler] mean "sea" in Irish ?

Sujet : Re: does [ler] mean "sea" in Irish ?
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 05. Sep 2024, 15:59:19

 Ar an cúigiú lá de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Peter Moylan:

 > On 05/09/24 15:20, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
 > > Ar an ceathrú lá de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh HenHanna:
 > >
 > >> does  [ler]  mean  "sea" in Irish ?
 > >
 > > You want https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/lear , genitive lir.
 >
 > Thank you for the pointer. I like to bookmark on-line dictionaries, and
 > I can read this one without using a torch or a magnifying glass, unlike
 > my paper Irish-English dictionary.
 >
 > It turned out that I already had Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla bookmarked, but
 > I needed a reminder that it was there.

There are three dictionaries, a grammar, and a pronunciation guide there. (I
haven’t tried the pronunciation guide.) It’s a good resource.

Are you aware of MacBain’s etymological dictionary of Scots Gaelic? I find it
easier to remember words if I have some understanding of the etymology, and the
etymology carries over. E.g. sorn, cooker is from Latin “furnus,” same root as
“furnace”, French « four ».
https://www3.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/macbain/macbain.txt

 > > I do not understand why you posted this chatbot output. Use a
 > > dictionary for your own education. Why attempt to learn from
 > > something that is guaranteed to lie to you?
 >
 > But the Hen is not entirely useless, if he/sh/it can trigger a pointer
 > to a useful web site.

True.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’