Re: Lama and Yama

Sujet : Re: Lama and Yama
De : kehoea (at) *nospam* parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Groupes : sci.lang
Date : 14. Sep 2024, 07:51:19

 Ar an triú lá déag de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Jeff Barnett:

 > Question from a non-linguist:
 >
 > My pleasure reading of Oriental fiction and myth seem to frequently run into
 > the words "Lama" and "Yama". The first usually refers to a holy man and the
 > second to a God. Of course the words sound fairly similar to my ear. So I am
 > curious: Are they were derived from a common origin?

Wikipedia documents the first as Tibetan, with “guru” being the appropriate
Sanskrit term, the second is itself Sanskrit. Tibetan is a Sino-Tibetan
language, Sanskrit is Indo-European. With them coming from distinct language
families, absent other evidence the way to bet is that they are not derived
from a common origin.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’