Re: Word of the day: "ithyphallic"

Sujet : Re: Word of the day: "ithyphallic"
De : snidely.too (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Snidely)
Groupes : alt.usage.english sci.lang
Date : 19. Sep 2024, 22:48:38
Snidely used thar keyboard to writen:
On Thursday, J. J. Lodder pointed out that ...
occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

On 19/09/2024 06:59, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
Another one that stuck for me was "metic", "resident foreigner in a
Greek city state," apparently not related to meticulous.
 Try 'hermetic' as a related concept. A 'foreigner' in ancient Greek was
someone from another city state, even if that was a city in Greece.
'Greece' did not become an entity until much later.

Depends on what you want 'entity' to mean.
Those ancient Greeks certainly saw themselves as a cultural entity,
with a shared language and culture. This extended to 'Greater Greece'.
It was only the narrow sense of a political entity that was
inconceivable to them,

Jan

I have a better sense of how Egypt came to be a cultural entity than I do for Greece.  On the one hand, the political development of the winning Pharoahs is easy to read about; on the other, my histories of Greece generally begin with the last king of Athens and the rise of the early democracy, which seems to be well after there were several city-states that considered themselves to be Greek.

/dps
And so I turn to the rabbit hole:
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenaean_Greece>
-d
--
"Maintaining a really good conspiracy requires far more intelligent application, by a large number of people, than the world can readily supply."
Sam Plusnet