Re: Langevin's paradox again

Sujet : Re: Langevin's paradox again
De : me (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 12. Jul 2024, 09:32:22
On 2024-07-12 06:11:26 +0000, Thomas Heger said:

Am Donnerstag000011, 11.07.2024 um 13:14 schrieb J. J. Lodder:
Richard Hachel <r.hachel@wanadou.fr> wrote:

Langevin's paradox.
The Langevin paradox is a very serious criticism against the theory of
relativity. Unfortunately, the canonization and divinization of Albert
Einstein as the new son of God on earth (it was excessive in both
substance and form) completely obscured the problem, and we only saw
dozens high-level theorists were right against him, and that their
grievances were audible.
 Here you have Langevin (seated in front of the blackboard)
with Einstein and Ehrenfest.
You can see how devastated Einstein is at his theory
having been destroyed by Langevin, can't you?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Langevin#/media/File:EinsteinEhrenfestKamerlingh-OnnesWeiss.jpg>   BTW, Einstein is on record as having praised Langevin
as 'the only Frenchman who understands relativity'.
Langevin started lecturing on relativity in 1910.
 I had assumed, that Einstein spoke French very well.
 He had several other opportunities to speak French.
 E.g. the works of Poincaré were written in French and seemingly Einstein knew them.
Being able to read and understand French is not the same as beingg able to speak "French very well". I can read and understand written Portuguese, but I certainly can't speak it or understand it when spoken (in Portugal; in Brazil it is less impenetrable).
 He had attended the 'Solveig Conference' which was held in French.
 Einstein had also a number of contacts to people speaking French, like:
 Marie Curie
Langvin
George Lemaitre
 But when did he learn French?
 He had no particular talent for foreign languages, which can be seen at his very poor perfomance in English, after ten years in Princton!!
 So: where, when and why did he learn French?
 My current 'work hypothesis' goes like this:
 he was actually Swiss citizen from birth and born in the west of Szwizzerland, were they speak German and French.
Nonsense. He was born in Ulm, which is not and never was in Switzerland.
 And possibly his CV was a complete fake and his name wasn't Einstein and he was possibly not even a Jew (which is why he declined the presidency of Israel).
  TH
--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly in England until 1987.