Re: Theoretical Force carrying bosons

Sujet : Re: Theoretical Force carrying bosons
De : volney (at) *nospam* invalid.invalid (Volney)
Groupes : sci.physics.research
Date : 02. May 2024, 22:12:19
Not very useful, nymshifter, please explain more about tensors if you can.

Regarding tensors, since the spin of the boson corresponds to the
dimensions of the associated field tensor (does anyone know why/how?),
a spin 0 boson would have a zero dimensional scalar field (like
temperature of points within a volume), spin 1 a vector with a
direction, spin 3 and beyond would be quite interesting with 3+
dimensional tensors. What would this look like in real life?

Also how does spin 1 electromagnetism differ from (theoretical) spin-2
gravity? I know gravity waves are depicted as stretching in one
dimension while compressing at a right angle for a half cycle while emag
jiggles back and forth but beyond that?

[[Mod. note -- A "minor" nit-pick:

The term "gravity waves" has been used for hundreds of years in physics
to mean a wave propagating in matter in which the restoring forces are
provided by bouyancy and gravity.  E.g., ocean waves are this sort of
gravity waves, as are pressure waves propagating in the atmospheres of
planets and stars.

The spin-2 "ripples in spacetime curvature" that we're talking about
here are better called "gravitational waves".  I've heard the slang
term "gravy waves" for them, but this doesn't appear to be common
usage.
-- jt]]