Re: Equivalence principle

Sujet : Re: Equivalence principle
De : hees (at) *nospam* itp.uni-frankfurt.de (Hendrik van Hees)
Groupes : sci.physics.research
Date : 10. Jun 2024, 14:10:37
Or to put it simpler. In a local inertial reference frame, realized by a
point-like non-rotating body in free fall, you observe (e.g., by using
pointlike test particles) only the "true gravitational forces", i.e.,
the tidal forces.

If you sit on the surface of a planet, you are not in free fall, because
there are (electromagnetic) forces keeping you there.

That's why the accelerometer of your smart phone at rest on Earth shows
an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2, because it measures accelerations
relative to a local inertial frame of reference! See, e.g.,

https://physlab.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/primer_smartphones.pdf

On 2024-06-08 17:40:15 +0000, Luigi Fortunati said:

In the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LjJeeae68 at minute 6:56
it states that there is no measurement that can be made to distinguish
whether you’re being accelerated or whether you are sitting still on the
surface of a planet.

So, I ask: what stops us from measuring the presence (or absence) of
tidal forces? If tidal forces are there, then we are stationary on the
surface of a planet, if they are not there, we are experiencing a
non-gravitational acceleration.

Consider a situation where you are not sitting on a surface of a planet
but acclerated by a real non-gravitational interaction; and this happens
near a planet or a star: you can measure a tidal force (if your instruments
are big and sensitive enough).

--
Hendrik van Hees
Goethe University (Institute for Theoretical Physics)