Re: Carbon Tax --> public transit

Sujet : Re: Carbon Tax --> public transit
De : campbell (at) *nospam* neotext.ca (Dhu on Gate)
Groupes : can.general soc.culture.canada can.politics nf.general bc.general ont.general
Suivi-à : can.politics
Date : 23. Mar 2024, 11:29:15
On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 23:27:54 -0230, David Dalton wrote:

On Mar 21, 2024, Dhu on Gate wrote
(in article <uti488$1o4po$5@dont-email.me>):

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:25:16 -0230, David Dalton wrote:

On Mar 21, 2024, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2BACB51200010E34700000C6A38F@news.eternal-september.org>)
:

Instead of the federal government giving back much of the Carbon
Tax in rebates, they should direct the money to improving public
transit nationally, including in rural areas.

For example, in recent years there has been a loss of Greyhound
in Western Canada, and that contributes to the ongoing crisis
os missing and murdered indigenous women and girls, since
many of them resort to hitchhiking.

On a local (Newfoundland) basis, several years ago there was
a loss of Fleetline bus, which used to operate on the coastal
Conception Bay Highway between St. John’s and Conception
Bay North, and which was a valuable service fo students
travelling home for the weekend and for seniors and others
going into the city for medical appointments or shopping.

But of course there could also be an improvement in public
transit in urban (including small cities) and suburban areas.

And I think the NDP would support the LIberals in such an
initiative, maybe even to the extent of forming a coalition
before the next election.

And indeed, the planned transition to electric vehicles
is not practical; instead (or as well) there must be a
rapid evolution of private cars to public transit.

Location, location, location, Dave. Electrics only really
make any sense in dense urban environments, where they really
do rock ;-)

Dhu

Perhaps hydrogen fuel cell vehicles would have a longer
range and better performance in low temperatures.

The only problem with using carbo-hydrates (e.g. Kerosene) is the
use of fossil carbs.  Otherwise, being as most of the biology
of our planet is carbohydrates, it's possible to make and use
carbo fuels that won't poison the planet's plants and animals.

Until someone shows me a *functioning* Fusion Reactor, they're
gonna be burning COAL in China and India to make electricity
AND Hydrogen.

Germany too: they're back to burnin' brown coal 'cause they've
shut down their nukes and don't have access to the Russian
gas they'd hoped to replace them with.

Dhu

And in the long term I envisage a hyperloop backbone,
perhaps partly funded by Elon Musk.

--
Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglais.
 Duncan Patton a Campbell