Re: ANOTHER Boeing Incident - Dozens Injured

Sujet : Re: ANOTHER Boeing Incident - Dozens Injured
De : alien (at) *nospam* comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Groupes : talk.politics.misc alt.survival
Date : 14. Mar 2024, 18:30:16
On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:51:22 -0400) it happened
=?UTF-8?B?8J+YjiBNaWdodHkgV2FubmFiZSDinIU=?= <@.> wrote in
<xhDIN.261226$ps1.101587@fx12.ams1>:

Jan Panteltje wrote on 3/14/2024 9:00 AM:
On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:23:28 -0400) it happened
=?UTF-8?B?8J+YjiBNaWdodHkgV2FubmFiZSDinIU=?= <@.> wrote in
<7%BIN.332098$7uxe.243152@fx09.ams1>:

D wrote on 3/14/2024 5:17 AM:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, rbowman wrote:

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:06:10 -0400, 68hx.1804 wrote:

   It's an East/West diff ... the west loves the idea of "all-purpose"
   while east trends more towards "mission-specific".
It's more my personality than vice versa but I've always preferred the
Unix/Linux philosophy of a program that does one thing very well that
can
be chained together with similar programs.
Amen! I've only used linux for the last 20 years or so and it is not
possible to go back to windows.

What's interesting is that my father, who is 73, has been using linux
for at least 10 years, with adblockers and all, and when he sees a
friend using windows he always asks me "How can people stand it?".

We don't know.

Linux is OK for simple tasks, like internet browsing and Usenet. Windows
is for serious users who need to do more than simple tasks.
That is complete bullox
In some of the (Linux) Raspberry release you got a free version of MATLAB
there are a zillion open source application for Linux.
And the good thing is you can connect things / applications together.
Media players (mplayer, xine, etc) video editing, audio editing, audio
software, system conversion, thousands of free applications available.
And maybe without your knowing: much in your home may well be running some version of Linux
router, HD receiver, WiFi box, TV, Linux is even used in some spacecraft.

MS windblows is just for the ignorant to ever buy more bloat and ever more hardware needed to run the bloat
ever more bandwidth (expensive fiber) needed to get the updates... ..
Microsore has No purpose whatsoever except to get your money and they have shares in hardware companies
as every time their bloat increases people have to buy ever more powerful hardware to be able to run it.
Basically Microsore is a crime against humanity, an example of out of control capitalism.
And of course it spies on everybody all around the world that uses it.

Please explain why desktop Linux has only 3.77% market share of all the
common computer operating systems? If Windows is so bad, then how did
Windows garner 73% market share?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

For desktop computers and laptops, Microsoft Windows is the most used at
72.99%, followed by Apple's macOS at 16.13%, and Google's ChromeOS at
1.76%, and desktop Linux at 3.77%. Since ChromeOS is a Linux based OS,
it can be added to the total desktop Linux share bringing it to 5.53%.

Long ago I bought an Asus eeePC 701, small sort of portable computer,
it ran Linux.
It was an enormous success,
I still have it and it still runs the original distro.
The next one: Microsore had bought its way into the company and a MSwidows version came out
Sort of US mafia methods.
MS has made deals with suppliers that make it an advantage for the suppliers to sell PCs with MS stuff.
And people get brainwashed - like you - that make them think MS is the only solution.
As to numbers, here is an old story:
Some professor showed that in the same city where the most children were born there were also the most storks.
 So, conclusion: storks bring little kids.
He than warned his students about mis-interpretation statistics...
I bought a Samsung laptop years ago, came with some MSwidows version
did put Ubuntu on it, everything worked right away.
Some other Linux distros after that (multi boot) too, now the latest version of Ubuntu is on it.
I have not missed anything, wrote many many programs that run on it.
Have not missed MS widows at all.
Last one was win 3.1 ? with trumpet winsock to go online IIRC
I had that running on DR DOS (Digital Research DOS)
Billy the Gates was upset it could run on an other OS and then integrated the GUI part with the basic system to prevent that
and cause the mess windblows is it ...
Billy the Gates had the opinion that internet was nothing back then.
well there is more to it..
:-)