Re: Anyone tried zoneminder for camera control

Sujet : Re: Anyone tried zoneminder for camera control
De : <bp (at) *nospam* www.zefox.net>
Groupes : comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date : 03. Apr 2024, 03:39:05
John Aldridge <jpsa@cantab.net> wrote:
In article <uufja9$2ps5s$1@dont-email.me>, bp@www.zefox.net says...

John Aldridge <jpsa@cantab.net> wrote:
In article <uu1rtd$31a20$1@dont-email.me>, bp@www.zefox.net says...

From time to time it'd be nice to have a remote control camera
connected to my Pi. Most likely use would be watching for
unwelcome critters in the garage or garden.

Knowing absolutely nothing I downloaded zoneminder...

I've not used zoneminder, but have used 'motion' for watching wildlife
(https://motion-project.github.io/) which works fine on an RPi (both
with USB cameras and the RPi camera).

How does one guesstimate which cameras will work? Zonemaster has a list,
but I didn't see one for motion. It looks like the better-performing
cameras start in the mid-hundreds of dollars so a correct choice matters.

I'm not aware of a list of tested cameras, though a quick glance at the
documentation suggests that one which supports Video4Linux2 should work.

But I wasn't trying to persuade you to switch away from zoneminder, just
suggesting something else you might try if zoneminder doesn't work out.

I'll admit that zoneminder appears to be a fairly ambitious project....
was hoping motion might be closer to cheap plug-and-pray setup.

The initial mystery (figuring out what's chewing up a lemon tree) has
been resolved the old fashioned way. Still, knowing what's possible
and affordable will be useful the next time something like this comes
up.

Thanks to everybody who responded, I'm slightly less ignorant now!

bob prohaska