Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

Sujet : Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried
De : ross.a.finlayson (at) *nospam* gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Groupes : sci.logic comp.theory sci.lang
Date : 22. Mar 2024, 03:05:47
On 03/21/2024 04:20 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
(Some have that "life must be carbon-based because
only carbon-rings make sequences with enough
information", but, "live rust", steam vents, and so on.)
[...]
What is "live rust"?  The only references I can find are to the 1979
album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

It's when you have a new shovel,
and you're digging some fence posts,
and there's a lot of iron in the soil,
rusty live old iron and live rust.
Anyways the next day the shovel's covered with rust.
It's like when you use an iron bar,
and digging fence-post holes to lay out
some barb-wire fence, there's lots of iron,
and it's got a lot of oxidation.
Anyways the next day the iron bar's all covered with rust.
Live rust.
They don't have anything for live rust,
but if you scrape yourself up on old barb wire fence,
it's maybe not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.
There's the Gaia hypothesis, "the Earth is alive",
like in the movie "Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within",
anyways it's not like that, live rust.
Basically "live rust" is a state of
highly accelerated oxidation of ferrous materials,
with associations to organic materials, then
whether that's just catalyst, or, particular symbiosis.
Or that's the kind I know maybe there are others.
Otherwise I've looked into "live rust" before
and there's not much about it.  For example,
on Google, this thread isn't there.
Yet, it's definitely a thing.
Yet, it's not in the ephemeral knowledge base, ....
The idea about "the Upper Ontology" and this kind of thing,
and thanks for your interest or thanks for writing,
is a great thing, things change.
Somehow we must always be _parsing_ the things
and making _theory_ and _science_ of the things,
vis-a-vis our internalized knowledge base, facts,
representations, memory, recall, lack thereof.
About "Live Rust", one imagines it's a play on
words as, "live music", while, where did they get it?
That album and its music has had great revival several
times, and has greatly influenced generations of listeners.
There's an intersection of streets near here, in one
direction it's one-way traffic, in the other there's
a spur that joins it, that way two-way traffic.
Anyways though, it's one-way traffic the main, and
all the lanes are usually having constant traffic, one way.
So anyways one thing I've observed is people taking
the "fake left", as if some ontology informed them
that it was not one way traffic, which it is.  So,
I wonder, how to add the "no left turn", sign,
that also punches a hole all the way up to, the,
"Upper Ontology", before people just following
directions, head-on a bus.
It's not technically wrong, just under-defined, ....
"Live rust:  not to be confused with microthrombosis
associated with platelet complications of COVID disease,
and don't forget pertussis."