Re: The most ridiculous science mistake in history.

Sujet : Re: The most ridiculous science mistake in history.
De : hitlong (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 29. Mar 2024, 15:48:03
On 3/25/24 10:28 AM, Aether Regained wrote:
There are no observable effects of an aether? What then are the electromagnetic and gravitational fields, if not observable effects of an aether?

They are modeled as fields, completely unrelated to any sort of aether.
We model reality with a system of mathematics based on calculus where
delta_x approaches zero, whereas reality is granular - perhaps down to
the Planck scale, or perhaps not.  Don't you think that field theories
are an attempt to circumvent the granularity problem that may contain
the seeds of their own limitations?

As I keep saying: you have no hope of "regaining" an aether until you
explain how the many quantum effects in electrodynamics are explained by
an aether.
First one must define what one means by an "aether."  AR seems to accept
that it must not have any measurable elements, so I guess he just wants
to have a warm feeling about "waves" :-)

Quoting ancient texts to support your position is RELIGION, not science.
(Writings by Maxwell and Einstein are now ancient texts, because science
evolves MUCH faster than religion).

Tom Roberts
Sure, models aren't reality just like maps are not the territory.  QFT is
an excellent model (in its domain of applicability) and will probably give
way to a more inclusive model some day.
Will our ideas of what constitutes "a law of nature" change, too?  Do you
believe that E = mc^2 is a law of nature?  How about \gamma mc^2?  How
about the invariance of c?  Or the invariance of m, for that matter?
Gary