Re: New version of my annotations to SRT

Sujet : Re: New version of my annotations to SRT
De : ttt_heg (at) *nospam* web.de (Thomas Heger)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 19. Apr 2024, 07:50:28

On 2024-02-16 06:20:15 +0000, Thomas Heger said:

[ … ]

Can you quote the sentence in question?

sure:
page 22, roughly in the middle

"We will now determine the kinetic energy of the electron. If an
electron moves from rest at the origin of co-ordinates of the
system K
along the axis of X under the action of an electrostatic force X,
..."

Is this your translation? Is "the axis of X" what is normally
called the
x-axis in English? Maybe you could quote it in German so that someone
who knows more German than I do can comment. Anyway, I agree that
calling the abscissa axis the x-axis is not ideal, but it's very
commonly done. In that case X is not a variable.

I'm actually critizising a certain text, not the work of Einstein
per se.

So, my topic is this particular English translation.

When a real professor evaluates a translation the main criterion is
whether the translation preseves the meaning of the text.

Anyway this kinda sloppy translation is not quite a big deal, there
is absolutely no ambiguity. Moreover Heger was pretending that "A"
was used with two different meanings in a single sentence, not "X",
so he is blatantly lying (again).

The symbol A is indeed used in several different meanings but the
meaning is always specified. But Heger also claimed (falsely) that
Einstein used X in two different meanings in the same sentence:

On 2024-02-16 07:20, Thomas Heger said:
Am 15.02.2024 um 11:32 schrieb Paul B. Andersen:
Den 15.02.2024 07:10, skrev Thomas Heger:

But Einstein gave this another kick and used the same symbol twice
with
different meanings within a single sentence.

Can you quote the sentence in question?

sure:
page 22, roughly in the middle

"We will now determine the kinetic energy of the electron. If an
electron moves from rest at the origin of co-ordinates of the system
K along the axis of X under the action of an electrostatic force X, ..."

In Einstein's text "X-Achse" is clearly different from plain "X".

Definitely.

the 'x-Achse' had a name,
 True.

 which was 'X'.
 No, its name was "X-Achse", and still is.

No, that's wrong.
If 'x-Achse' ('x-axis' in German) was named 'X', then 'X-Achse' would be in long form:
'x-Achse-Achse'
because the text 'x-Achse' is equal to the string 'X' by this definition.
Combining two strings is like putting them together and we get:
'X-Achse' = 'x-Achse' + 'Achse' = 'x-Achse-Achse'
And Einstein did in fact use 'X' as name of the x-axis of system K.
The system k had tall Greek letters as names of the axes:
Xsi, Eta and Zeta.
Here Einstein made an error, too, because once defined these names had to be used.
But Einstein used also X, Y and Z as names of the axes of system k, too.
He also used X, Y and Z as components of the electric field strength vector.
This culminated in twice the same symbol 'X' in the same sentence, but with two different meanings.
In my role as a hypothetical professor, who had to write corrections, I freaked out a little at this point and wrote a big red 'F' on the first page on the paper.
TH