Re: Fastest way to inject a lot of mail?

Sujet : Re: Fastest way to inject a lot of mail?
De : johnl (at) *nospam* taugh.com (John Levine)
Groupes : comp.mail.sendmail
Date : 09. Mar 2024, 02:25:28
According to Claus A?mann  <INVALID_NO_CC_REMOVE_IF_YOU_DO_NOT_POST_ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>:
John Levine  wrote:

 Is there a faster way to do it? SMTP to 127.0.0.1? LMTP?

First you need to identify the bottleneck(s),
then you can work on solutions.
Well, yeah, that's why I was wondering whether running the sendmail program
is likely to be slow.

BTW: did you read the fine documentation?
(hint: "TUNING"...)
I did and unless I missed something, it says nothing about injecting
mail via the sendmail command other than the obvious thing that you
want to queue rather than delivering synchronously.
So here's a question: I have on the order of 10,000 messages, each
with a dozen or so recipients. It's currently running the sendmail
command for each one. If I opened a connection to 127.0.0.1 and
did a sequence of MAIL FROM/RCPT TO/DATA, would that be faster? How
about if I did it with N processes in parallel for some modest N? It
currently takes about 6 hours on a moderately fast VPS.
If nobody has any idea, OK, but it's hard to believe I'm the first person
ever to wonder about this.
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",