Re: Sendmail on FreeBSD 14, gmail problem

Sujet : Re: Sendmail on FreeBSD 14, gmail problem
De : gtaylor (at) *nospam* tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Groupes : comp.mail.sendmail
Date : 18. Apr 2024, 20:10:05
On 4/17/24 23:47, bp@www.zefox.net wrote:
That suggests that getting apache working https will complete a necessary, if not sufficient, step toward authentication using sendmail. For my purposes that's a worthwhile step.
Getting Apache to support HTTPS just to re-use the TLS certificate is about the same as getting OpenLDAP to support LDAPS to re-use the TLS certificate.
It's relatively easy to get a working TLS certificate without touching Apache or OpenLDAP.

If the certificat can be the one already used for ssh, that's a bit of gravy.
No, TLS (a.k.a. X.509) certificates are different than SSH certificates.
N.B. SSH certificates are different than SSH keys.

I simply want to reply, as an individual, to email received from a gmail
account.
I think you want to look at SPF as it's probably all that is required in your use case.
You might want to explore DKIM.

Hopefully SPF will be enough to get gmail to accept my replies
Yes, I believe it will be.

I fear you're giving me far more credit than I deserve! OAuth is
unknown to me.
I know of OAuth and have read about / listened to podcasts on it a number of times.  But I've not used it much at all.  I have minimal interaction with providers that require it.
N.B. OAuth isn't needed to send email to, much less receive email from, Gmail.

Thanks for helping me find my bearings! I'm still kinda lost, but
am forming an inkling which way is up.
You're welcome.
--
Grant. . . .