Re: Self-evidently I am not my grandpa

Sujet : Re: Self-evidently I am not my grandpa
De : janburse (at) *nospam* fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Groupes : sci.logic
Date : 29. Apr 2024, 13:25:22
Well I forgot to say, that only first order
logic with equality, FOL=, is available.
How would you define ancestor?
Barb Knox schrieb:
On 27/04/2024 16:43, Mild Shock wrote:
Lets take this "truth":

Quine explains, “No bachelor is married,” where
the meaning of the word ‘bachelor’ is synonymous
with the meaning of the word ‘unmarried.’ However,
we can make this kind of analytic claim into a
logical truth (as defined above) by replacing
‘bachelor’ with its synonym, that is, ‘unmarried man,’
to get “No unmarried man is married,” which is an
instance of No not-X is X.

Then examine this "truth":

Lets say you build a Prolog family database and
make definitions for father, grand-father etc..
Will this Prolog family database exclude:

"Im my own grandpa"
 If you want it to.  The additional rule needed is that X can not be an ancestor of X.
|  BBB                b    \   Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
|  B  B   aa     rrr  b     |
|  BBB   a  a   r     bbb   |  Quidquid latine dictum sit,
|  B  B  a  a   r     b  b  |  altum videtur.
|  BBB    aa a  r     bbb   |