Re: Relativistic aberration

Sujet : Re: Relativistic aberration
De : hitlong (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 17. Jul 2024, 14:05:26
On Wed, 17 Jul 2024 7:05:15 +0000, Thomas Heger wrote:

Am Dienstag000016, 16.07.2024 um 16:47 schrieb gharnagel:

"Why is the speed of light so slow when the universe is such a really,
really big place?" -- G. L. Harnagel

This is a tautology:

What we see in the night sky is actually our own past light-cone.
Ah, but if we can develop tachyon astronomy, that will not be true!

This means: light is relatively slow for the wastness of the universe,
hence we can see everything only with a certain delay and the further
away, the longer the delay, according to x = c* t
(with x= distance in meters, t = delay in seconds).

This 'longer away' is usually measured in light years and the delay in
years.

Since the night sky shows only a delayed image of past events, the speed
of light cancels out of the equations and we can put any value into it
and always get a valid picture of the universe.

So we only assume, that light moves always with ~300 million meters per
second through the entire universe.

But if light would speed up or slow down, we would not be able to
measure this, because we always see the own light cone in the night sky
and c is already embedded into it (for whatever a value c actually has
in outer space).

TH
Ah, but the fine structure constant, which is pertinent to how stars
shine,
includes the speed of light.  That implies that c is the same throughout
space and time, n'est-ce pas?