Re: The purpose of science

Sujet : Re: The purpose of science
De : hitlong (at) *nospam* yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 03. Jul 2024, 17:00:33
Maciej Wozniak wrote:

It is - right - determining the truth.
yes.

Just not in the way you think.
And maybe not the way YOU think, either :-)

Science is setting it, not discovering it.
I disagree, Woz.  Scientists have been dragged
kicking and screaming into relativity.  Einstein
was dragged k&s into QM, etc.
“Relativity and quantum mechanics were not invented because someone
thought it would be a good idea for the universe to obey these rules;
rather, these revolutionary ideas were forced upon us by nature.”
-- Lawrence M. Krauss

We need a good description of the reality.
Good - means: optimized. Science is solving
the puzzle of optimized set of axioms and
definitions. Or rather - axioms including
its special form - definitions.
Axioms come after the discovery.  The postulates
of SR came from observation of reality, then
equations were derived, then confirmation by
further observation (results of experiments).