Re: A discussion of 'Tachyons, the 4-momentum ...'

Sujet : Re: A discussion of 'Tachyons, the 4-momentum ...'
De : r.hachel (at) *nospam* liscati.fr.invalid (Richard Hachel)
Groupes : sci.physics.relativity
Date : 03. Oct 2024, 20:09:08
Le 03/10/2024 à 19:30, hitlong@yahoo.com (gharnagel) a écrit :
On Thu, 3 Oct 2024 12:36:27 +0000, Richard Hachel wrote:

What must be understood in special relativity is that the photon IS
already a tachyon since it moves infinitely fast; since it IS an
instantaneous energy transaction in the hyperplane of simultaneity of
the receiver.
 Monsieur Hachel, it pains me that I must disagree with you, for you
have conflated the frame of the photon (within which no red-blooded
human composed of tardyons can be at rest) with the frame in which
red-blooded humans CAN be at rest.  Photons are generally-believed
to experience no time, hence what you assert is true - in THAT frame.
 However, in the frames which we poor, slow tardyon slugs lounge in
comfort, time does indeed pass.  Even we poor slugs measure the
speed of photons as 299796458 meters/second in vacuum, thus we are
painfully aware that light crawls along so slowly that true tachyons
(i.e., those particles that we poor humans would measure traveling
faster than those slow photons) MUST exist because the universe is
such a really, really absurdly BIG place.
 I'm really, really sorry that you have deluded yourself.
Monsieur Harnagel,
I don't mind that you disagree with me, and I respect your way of thinking.
Thank you for your post and the clarifications you give me.
But don't worry about me, I have too many decades of thinking behind me to go back on what I said, and what I believe to be true.
You tell me, if I understand correctly, that in the laboratory frame of reference, a certain amount of time passes between the emission of the photon at A (in a tube for example) and its reception at B, on the other side of the tube.
In short, that if time is zero for the photon itself (on the back of which we have placed a heavy 120 kg clock that will measure zero time), it is not the same for ALL points in the laboratory, and that all these points, if AB is 3 meters then all will measure t=10 nanoseconds.
That's exactly what you're saying.
On this, I do not follow you, and I would like you to understand my thinking, not so that I can brag, but because it is very important to understand.
Each point of the laboratory, in Newtonian physics, and even in Einsteinian physics, has the same hyperplane of present time,
the same hyperplane of supposed simultaneity.
However, this is no longer true in relativistic physics of the Hachel type (that's me).
Everything will depend on the POSITION of the observer in the laboratory frame of reference.
Thus the receiver who will collect the photon, will consider that the transfer time is zero although being in the laboratory, whereas in the hyperplane of the source, the transfer will take place in 20 real nanoseconds.
It is only a "neutral", transversal observer, having placed a watch at A and another at B, will measure t=10 ns.
Strangely, this evidence disorients men, who are not inclined to think of things other than very superficially.
Yet it is pure logic, physics, mathematics and experimentation.
R.H.