Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

Sujet : Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
De : aw (at) *nospam* somewhere.invalid (Adam W.)
Groupes : news.admin.peering news.admin.net-abuse.usenet news.software.nntp
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 01:48:32
In news.admin.peering Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:

I think most admins are using custom scripts to produce nocem messages.
I know that I am. It's just necessary to produce a properly formatted
and signed post, so not too complicated. I produce mine (i2pn2.org) with
a php script, then post it with a bash script.

I just revisited this thread, so pardon me for resurrecting it after two
weeks.

It's the same in my case. A combination of Python, C++ and Bash code
filters articles and generates NoCeMs on my server (news.chmurka.net).

There's a standarized and ready-made way to process incoming NoCeMs, but
I don't know of any ready-made way to generate them (which doesn't mean
that it doesn't exist).

When adding custom filters to the server, one usually has to write some
code anyway, and NoCeMs, as Retro Guy said, aren't that complicated to
generate.

Here's a piece I wrote about NoCeMs on my server, if someone's interested.

http://news.chmurka.net/nocem.php

It's true that it's a way to automate spam filtering across servers that
trust each other, but:

a) technically nothing prevents ordinary users from using NoCeMs in their
own readers (public keys are public, everyone can verify NoCeMs), I just
don't think that there are readers that support it (but it can be added
with some amount of coding)

b) nothing prevents ordinary users from posting NoCeMs, publishing a
policy, and gaining reputation (leading to their NoCeMs being honored by
servers), although this mechanism works best if it has a realtime feed of
articles (so it's best to run it on a newsserver)

Adam