Re: power loss while receiving news

Sujet : Re: power loss while receiving news
De : iulius (at) *nospam* nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Groupes : news.software.nntp
Date : 22. Apr 2024, 18:02:14
Hi Jesse,

BTW: Is there another way to remove entries from history except manually
deleting them?

What I usually do to achieve that is:
1- setting /remember/ to 0 in expire.ctl;
2- running the expire process ("news.daily notdaily" called with the
same parameters as in crontab);
3- setting /remember/ to its previous value (11 by default).

I'm not aware of another way to totally remove entries from the history
file (it somehow needs rebuilding).  If you see another method with the
current programs shipped with INN, I would be glad to hear.
 Can you not remove the lines from "history" and then run makedbz?
Wolfgang asked for a way other than a manual deletion.  Yes, editing the history file by hand and then running "makedbz" or "makehistory -O" will also work.  It is just more error-prone, and naturally one has to shutdown INN before any manual edition of the history file.
I would recommend to also rebuild the overview data ("makehistory -O") and not only the dbz files ("makedbz") as otherwise it will be inconsistent.  I think duplicated Message-IDs in the overview database won't prevent the articles from being accepted as our current overview methods work by article numbers, and not by Message-IDs, but better be consistent.
Running "news.daily notdaily" will do all of that for you.
--
Julien ÉLIE
« Dignus est intrare. » (issu de Molière)